Day three of our holiday is one we will not forget in a long while. It started so well. I woke up at 5am and while everyone slept I took myself for a walk along the white sandy beach – a mile in memory for […]
We are now back from our Holiday in Riviera Maya, Mexico. I kept a little holiday diary which I will be sharing with you over the next couple of weeks & here’s the first instalment.
We woke at 4am on Monday morning. Holiday day was here! It felt as though the build up to this holiday had lasted years! We had booked it with Thomson in May 2014 (I think) and is been getting things sorted ever since.
We got up, I got dressed and did my make up, packed the final bits (make up, hairdryer, gym shoes) and before long we had said our goodbyes to mum & Lobster and were on our way to Sean’s Parents house where we were meeting Dean and Tasha & travelling to Gatwick from.
I was pretty nervous about the flight. 11 hours in confined space?! Were people mad?
We ate breakfast at Garfunkels- I had porridge & S had the biggest fry-up on the menu and then it was time to head to our gate where I did a little celeb spotting and tweeted Alex Wood from the Last Leg telling him to have a great flight. I know, stalker right?
Anyway once on board I watched a few movies and an episode of The Big Bang Theory in between food breaks and toilet runs. Annoyingly, the brand new spotty cabin case I had bought broke mid flight so I couldn’t get anything out of it! Arg! So annoying. Instead I busied myself on my phone. I will tell you about our flight experience on the Thomson 787 Dream Liner in another post.
Upon arrival in Cancun airport we headed straight to baggage claim to collect our suitcases and then on through customs. A guy on our flight actually got stopped by a dog & ended up being wrestled to the ground!
After fighting our way through the crowds of dodgy sales people and fake transfers we boarded our coach and were greeted by our Thomson Holidays coach guide, Augusto. A funny, very short man from a Mayan Village. He was great fun and we were told all of the essential info about the currency, water & area that our brains could handle after one of the longest days ever.
I have to admit, my first impressions of Mexico were bleak to say the least. As we passed dilapidated building after dilapidated building I had started to wonder if this place of paradise D&T had sold to us so easily was actually a figment of their imagination. Our hotel, The Grand Palladium Colonial was the second stop on the trip and as we made our way through the jungle lined entrance I breathed a sigh of relief.
We were greeted by the friendly ‘Bell Boys’ who took our cases and checked in at the reception desk before being driven to our apartments on a little golf buggy. We freshened up, grabbed dinner in the buffet restaurant and got ourselves an early night.
You can see all other entries and previous travel posts here.
I have been going on and on at Mr about wanting one of those wheely cabin bags having watched Zoella’s travel bag video a few weeks ago and so when I finally found one that didn’t cost more than the holiday itself it snapped it […]
Packing for a holiday *should* be easy. In fact for Mr it is. He’s bunged all of his stuff into his tiny (compared to my giant sized suitcase) holdall and he’s already ready to go! For me it’s a little more complicated. There has to be […]
Exactly one month today I will be heading to Mexico with Mr, his brother and his wife for a blissful two week holiday and I am soooo excited.
I am going to be doing a series of count down posts in the lead up to our holiday including things like our holiday shopping hauls, what’s in my travel bag, tips for Long – Haul flights and more and so I hope you will find them helpful if you are planning a similar holiday yourself this year.
First though, I wanted to share some of the things we are planning to get up to on our break away.
1. Swim with the Dolphins. Before now, I’ve never really had much interest in this ever popular tourist attraction, but something has inspired me to give it a go. I am hoping to book to go on this Silver Primax Delphinas trip and spend a day in the water with these beautiful creatures of the sea.
2. Ever since we booked to go on holiday Mr has been excited at the prospect of going Fishing in the Mexican sea with his brother. Luckily for him, the Akumal fishing village is only 4km away from our hotel and the sea fishing trip promises exciting catches including MahiMahi & Sail Fish. While there, there’s also the chance to swim with Sea turtles! I think that might be where they find me.
3. Shopping! If there is one thing I love about going on holiday, it’s shopping for souvenirs and little quirky bits at the market. I find the markets always uncover aspects of culture you mightn’t experience elsewhere. I can’t wait to spend the day haggling and discovering beautiful Mexican gifts.
4. We’re holidaying with Mr’s brother & his wife who have been to the resort before, and they have promised to take us to their holiday highlight – Co Co Bongos! It’s a night club with quality entertainment and delicious sounding cocktails, sounds good to me.
5. T & I are determined to take full advantage of the spa facilities in our hotel. I’m sooo ready for a facial and relaxing massage!
6. Work out. I have been working really hard to tone up and get a bit fitter and I am determined not to let our Holiday get in the way of that. I am going to try and swim lengths each morning before breakfast and maybe jog along the sea front every other day. I also love joining in with the pool aerobic sessions that are normally held on holiday so fingers crossed too!
Have you ever been to Mexico? I would love to know what you got up to and whether you have any recommendations!
With just 32 days until we jet off on holiday to Mexico we have been doing some shopping – the best kind of shopping! I will most likely do a series of posts about what we’ve been buying but today I thought I’d share with you […]
It’s been a while since I last went camping, but with money being so tight and Mr working as much over time as possible, it doesn’t look like we are going to get away anywhere exotic this summer. Around this time two years ago, Mr […]